Heading off to college or university from school is a rite of passage for many young students. That’s because they meet new people, make friends, an array of fascinating ideas to digest, and copious amounts of head-splitting hangovers to experience. But how do you know which university is the right one?
It’s always been difficult to choose the best University. Even it can be overwhelming if you don’t know where to start. Choosing the right university is one of the biggest decisions that we take in terms of education. Here we help you How to Choose the Right University.
The choice you make when choosing a university will decide and shape your immediate future. It’ll determine who you meet, what skills you’ll develop, and the opportunities you’ll be able to seize. Therefore, it’s an important decision that features a lot of impact on the rest of your life. And that, as we all know, is quite a lot of pressure.
But just because it’s such a crucial decision doesn’t mean it’s a make-or-break decision. You’ll have an amazing and wonderful experience at many universities, so don’t be too hard on yourself if you’re struggling to choose a university in India or abroad or in any country.
Thousands of other future students are in your shoes, shuffling away and the other without really knowing what university to select.
Don't Know Which Career Option Is Best For YOU?
Get in Contact With our Expert Counsellors and Clear all Your Doubts.
List of 12 Tips for How to Choose the Right University
With some research and some basic direction, though, you should be able to identify the destination that is right for you. First, here are several key tips that you need to consider to choose the best for you. Read on the tips to choose the right university and make your own decision.
1 . Choose the right course: The first thing before choosing a university is to make a decision is the course that you want to study and the areas that you want to specialize in within that subject.
There’ll usually be some variations across universities in course content and reading lists, so make sure to have a look at the previous year’s curriculum and the new one.
However, if you’re unsure of the direction you want to take, choose a university or a country that allows you the liberty to experiment with different subjects to assist you to figure out your areas of interest.
2. Location: Location is an important point to think about first to choose a university. You might prefer to live and study in a vibrant busy city or may prefer to live in a beautiful and peaceful city like Jaipur.
- Travel time back home
- Travel time to a weekend job
- Social scene and nightlife of the location
- The general atmosphere and local amenities/venues
- Whether you prefer a campus environment or one located around a city.
Always remember to see the campus location of your course and not just where the university is predominantly based.
3. Consult the university rankings: It is the most important tip to choose the right university. If you’re unsure of how good the courses are that have made your shortlist are, there are ways to find out more about them without reading flashy course booklets handed to you by the universities.
You’ll try to contact current students on that course to induce their experiences and feedback (this is best done on university course open days).
You can also look at the ranking of the university on the ranking list. The next way is to check on the courses and university position on respected rankings. There are a couple of different tables you’ll check out, and not all of them are considered reliable.
4. Research the area: Away from the educational side of things, it’s worth remembering that you simply need to spend the foreseeable future at your chosen school, this suggests that you’ll need to like the area that you’ll be living in. If you want to be in the heart of an enormous city, then consider this.
You can Read Also: Tips To Choosing the Right Course for You
Alternatively, if you prefer a more special or peaceful setting of environment, then factor this into your choices. Don’t underestimate the importance of visiting and researching the area, either, your course is very important but if you hate your surroundings, then your education will undoubtedly suffer as a result.
5. Visit the campus first: Besides where you live, you’ll have to spend most of the time on the university campus. Besides lectures, you’ll also hang out with your friends, study or work on group projects, attend events, use the athletics or recreation facilities, and more.
You’ll also get a ‘feel’ for the place. After all, it might look great in the brochures and online, and it might be voted one among the best universities in the world, but once you see it first-hand you would possibly feel differently.
Before you go, make a checklist in your head of the items that will be important to you, and see how each of your choices fare.
6. Compare the University entry requirements with your expected grades: You should choose those universities which have similar grade requirements from your expected grades to give yourself the best chance at being offered a place.
If you achieve higher or lower grades, it’s possible to change your options later through clearing or adjustment, so thinking realistically, won’t limit your options if your grades do change.
7. Check out the extras: Course curriculums are one thing, but you also need to focus on what else your degree is offering: are there work experience placements or internship opportunities, for example, Some schools have better industry connections than others, and this will make an enormous difference when it comes to applying for jobs after graduation.
Consider the flexibility of your choice, too. If it’s possible to check in conjunction with another subject especially one that’s in line together with your interests and/or career goals – then take this under consideration as well. With the studies, always look out for the extras of the university curriculum.
8. Look for the courses: It may be tempting to apply to the most competitive schools due to their famous names, familiar locations, and strict admissions criteria. But did you know that only a few of the top universities offer all the courses?
Similarly, there are only a few universities that offer oil and gas management. That it’s possible to study for a fast-track degree in 2 years or top up your high school qualifications with a foundation program?
Don’t restrict yourself to what you think you want to study, investigate new courses, check out their reputations and course content carefully to visualize what’s right for you.
9. Find out about the student accommodation: If you’re starting a new university, you’ll probably be moving away from your family for the first time. Therefore the accommodation you reside in must be sweet and friendly for your comfortable experience, somewhere you’ll call that to your “home”.
But not also the accommodation you need to prepare: you’ll have to know how to cook, how to use the washing machine and how to wash your clothes.
Many universities have the facilities of laundry and also have mash that serves amazing food. So the students don’t need to do anything, only have to focus on their studies.
10. Overseas opportunities: Many university courses offer work placements where you get credit for the time you spend on the job.
But some courses offer exciting overseas placements where you’ll go around the world or further afield to realize valuable experience which will stand out on your CV. However, be prepared for tough competition for these positions, and it’s probably not best to hold your hat on this factor alone when choosing a university.
A university plays a crucial role in deciding your future and if you are capable you will get good placement opportunities.
11. Areas of strength: Always remember that no university is good at everything and no university is bad at nothing. Every university is good in its particular areas, so you should make sure that your field of study is a strong point of the university you select and sits high on its list of priorities.
Choosing a university that excels in your field of study may provide you with access to more specialized opportunities, including custom-built facilities like (for example, a court for law students), field-specific academic opportunities (such as overseas study tours), and employment opportunities with prestigious organizations in your industry (internships with industry partners, for example).
You can Read Also: Career Options in Biotechnology
12. Faculty Expertise: It is always difficult to choose the best university. It is not only beneficial but also highly important that students get taught by expert faculty in university.
Once you are taught by one of the best faculties of your subject, it not only allows you to achieve mastery in the subject but also gives you the advantage of global exposure and therefore the research competence of that faculty.
Students gain maximum knowledge when any industry-affiliated faculty or globally recognized faculty teach them.
Why Is IIS University The Best University?
IIS University is considered to be one of the best girls’ universities in Jaipur. It offered various courses UG, PG, M.Phil, Ph.D., Career Oriented And Skill Development (COSD) Courses and others.
With a mission to impart women’s education, IIS University emerged as an educational institution in Jaipur, Rajasthan. Started with a small college, IIS now becomes the topmost college in Jaipur with various streams and courses available.
Today IIS aims for the advancement of knowledge and education through excellence and leadership in Science, Arts, Fashion designing, Commerce, Management, Information technology, etc.
Under the guidance of experienced faculty members, students can explore both theoretical and practical courses that prepare them to meet the needs of an increasingly complex society.
The IIS University also offers full-fledged extra career-oriented and skill development courses which are vocational and meant to meet the requirements of various professional fields. This includes diploma and certified diploma courses of 1 or 2 years. If you are looking for the right university for you girls, check on to IIS University.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What should I consider when choosing a university?
Ans. It is always a problem in choosing a university whether for ourselves or someone else. You should consider the tips to choose the best university for you. We have given the 12 tips above the article that helps you to find your dream university.
2. How do I choose the right university and degree course?
Ans. When choosing the right university, always looks at its ranking and what courses they offer. And in case of choosing the course degree always look at the grades requirements and compare them with your grades. If the university requirements are higher than your grade then look at another university.
3. What do students look for when choosing a university?
Ans. Some students want a peaceful environment or some want a busy crowded environment, so they look for different factors for their satisfaction like location, cost, academic quality, campus safety, size of the university, etc.
4. What does it take to properly choose a college or university?
Ans. The student should have done an honest assessment of himself to know which universities best match his academic potential rather than just applying to colleges with higher ranks. Now all colleges and universities do entrance tests, so if you want to get admission there you need to be prepared.
“The IIS University Team is a group of expert teachers and staff who are passionate about helping students learn and grow. They come from different fields but all aim to help guide the university’s students. They write these blogs to share their thoughts and ideas about learning and the importance of education. Their goal is to help students prepare for the future in a simple and understandable way.”